Having a street party is easier than you may think and it will definitely be worth it. Trust that your neighbours will want one, because they will!
By 'street party' we mean one that is organised by and for all residents in 1 or 2 small streets, without external publicity. A wider public event in more streets needs extra arrangements.
To get going, read our checklist below or skip to our residents' guide.
|Checklist & Top Tips|
- Chat about your idea with neighbours you know
- Ask your council about road closure procedures
- A full road-closed street party is best or have a less formal quick street meet
- Think about when to hold it
- Plan 2 or 3 meetings and invite everyone in your street in writing
- Ideally hold all your meetings in the street
- If your street agrees, apply to council for road closure or plan an informal street meet
- Share jobs - not one 'organiser' - involve everyone
- Plan activities for all ages and tastes
- Plan a Street Quiz - download it here
- Get Age Friendly Streets ideas
- Get our Neighbours' Street Play Guide
- Get our SwapShop kit to plan how to swap things, help or do things together during and after the day
- Bring food, games, chairs etc. to share
- Music not too loud, late or long, and for all tastes
- Don't raise money in advance, do raffle on the day
- Arrange road signs, some tables and chairs etc.
- Borrow, buy or make bunting
- Probably no insurance or licence required
- Download all our free resources
- Kit to buy or hire - bunting, tables, prizes, banners etc.
- Folding tables are really handy too
|A week before||
- Send out reminder for party and moving some cars
- Display legal order for road closure if need be
|On the day||
- Set up road closure barriers and bunting etc.
- Do the SwapShop, with a Bring & Buy perhaps
- Clear up and open road after party
If a street party might be too much, or you can't close your road, why not have a 'street meet'?
For more ideas and inspiration see our:
Ask us a question or tell us your plans
"I feel as if I belong now"
"Real community spirit happened"
If a street party is too much a 'street meet' is a great alternative.
"Most people came out. Amazing"
"It changed my life. Really!"
Support our promotion of street parties with a donation