Sharing with neighbours
Everyday people quietly carry out small acts of neighbourly kindness and help neighbours.
Neighbours' SwapShop Kit
We offer a free Swap Shop Kit to encourage neighbours to lend or swap things, something like a swishing party plus. The Kit is freely available to use at street parties and mainly involves a chart on which people can write down their 'Offers' and 'Wanted' items. On the day, you stick the chart to a board as a 'SwapSwop' / 'Bring & Buy' table. You need to promote this in advance so that people can plan what to offer/want. It is also about helping, skills or knowledge. Here are some ideas:
- DVD or games 'street library'
- Lending tools, swapping toys
- Keeping an eye on a neighbour's house when away
- Helping with gardens or car cleaning
- sharing use of a car with a neighbour
- Knowing a good plumber, garage etc.
Getting Organised With Neighbours
Once you have got some swapping and sharing going, The Kit will help residents to plan and get organised at a deeper level.
- Supporting: Child care network, gardening club
- Taking action: improving a local park, Neighbourhood Watch
- Life-skills: DIY, bike/car maintenance, cooking, first aid, IT, painting, playing an instrument, dancing, singing
- Inter-generations: older and young people swapping expertise like reading, baking, IT